Tuesday 18 March 2008

'Who the Hell Doesn't Like Springsteen...?'


Here is the news (courtesy of The Scotsman):

‘An Australian woman who stabbed her common law husband to death because she was tired of being bossed around said a row over her playing a Bruce Springsteen CD was the last straw.
Karen Lee Cooper, 50, pleaded guilty to manslaughter yesterday and was sentenced to eight years in prison for killing partner Kevin Watson, 49.
"I mean, who the hell doesn't like Bruce Springsteen, for God's sake?" Cooper told police.’

Well, exactly. Who doesn’t? Er...me, actually. This is not to say that I hate him with a vengeance, it’s just that I am entirely neutral and am not really that bothered whether I listen to him or not, which is probably just as well judging by the above snippet. In fact this little vignette of life under the influence of pop music could well be played out at our house (note to self: hide all kitchen knives). My wife is also a big fan of the Boss (show me a female who isn’t) and owns a fair amount of his output whereas I do not. But she tends to play his stuff when I’m out of the house so a murderous assault will hopefully be avoided. If this blog suddenly stops, you’ll know why.

Let’s face it, there are much worse things to end up killing someone over: ‘Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep’, ‘Agadoo’, ‘Tie a Yellow Ribbon’ and I could go on...and on...so don’t get me started. If someone played any of these at ear-splitting volume in the same house as me I could very well see myself reaching for the carving knife. I’ve long suspected that pop music has a meaningful role to play in international torture – perhaps some dubious dictatorship could employ me as a consultant?

However, whilst I profess to be neutral in respect of Bruce, I did buy her his latest offering, ‘Magic’ as a Christmas present, and I admit to having listened to it a few times and begrudgingly have become rather fond of it. Especially ‘Girls in their Summer Clothes’ which has one of those incredibly annoying melodies that you catch yourself humming by the photocopier just as your boss walks by.

But what this all amounts to is that it is in the nature of all Music Obsessives to treat most music as a life or death passion - literally in Mrs Cooper’s case – because it matters to us. And what a shame it would be if it didn’t.

6 comments:

Stratocastergirl said...

"Show me a female who doesn't like Springsteen?" I am one, although it's nothing personal. I simply could go on completing my list of Things To Do Before I Die without ever hearing another note of his music! If others adore him, that is their privilege. Matter of fact, it never has occured to me to threaten bodily harm to anyone over disagreement regarding musical tastes---so my hubby needn't hide the household knives, or other potential weapons! :>)

music obsessive said...

Hi Strato (what a great name btw), thanks for commenting. Glad to hear that the male population is safe, at least for the time being and I do agree with you about Bruce - I never did understand what all the fuss was about...

Perplexio said...

I've never understood the fascination of Springsteen by his fans. I don't dislike him. And honestly I've never met anyone who actively dislikes or hates Springsteen. Most people I've met are either neutral (like you or I) or die-hard fans. There doesn't seem to be much in between those levels of devotion to his music.

music obsessive said...

Good point Perplexio. Seems that having the population not hate you is probably a good achievement all things considered. I can certainly think of many who I hate with a vengeance...

Jayne said...

He's not my Boss that's for sure - although I do like Dancing in the Dark, Born to Run, and Born in the USA, especially the latter for its political misinterpretation, but apart from those... actually was surprised I could reel off three! However I can happily say my other half is safe.

music obsessive said...

I dare say your mellow frame of mind is more to do with the huge pile of paper you now own, rather than anything ot do with the Boss or his music. Actually, if this indifference carries on, he could probably feel safe in marketing his own set of steak knives!