Wednesday 4 November 2009

Five Obsessions


Oh dear! Just when you thought it was safe, a fellow blogger nominates you to write about your 5 Obsessions – step forward, A Novice Novelist. I guess it’s a bit like one of those celebrity magazine quizzes where they are asked to name their favourite food, favourite colour underwear etc only worse as this digs into your very soul. So, here goes – starting with the obvious:


1. Music – This is truly an obsession. It is the one subject that I have had most arguments about so it must be. The thing is, I can’t help listening to it whether it be in airport lounges, hotel washrooms, friends’ houses or the background/incidental music to TV programmes. My mind is always asking, ‘Now, what’s that?’ like some out-of-control inquisitor (nobody expects...). Sometimes I miss entire TV shows trying to listen to what’s behind them.

2. My ipod – In the days before ipods, I would suffer terribly like some addict in rehab. I’d be at school or work or anywhere really and just get this dreadful craving to listen to track 2, side 1 of Talking Heads’ ‘Fear of Music’…or something and couldn’t wait to get home to play it. These days I can carry the majority of my collection around with me in a very small box thus relieving the craving at the earliest opportunity. The worst that can happen is that the battery runs out, which is a bit like having your life support system switched off, but without the dying bit.

3. Clutter – I hate it. I like my life to be orderly and my house the same. The trouble is; having two young children condemns you to clutter as a lifestyle. My wife tells me I am obsessive about tidiness but I disagree – I’d just like to order a skip and empty the entire house contents into it when no one’s looking, that’s all.

4. KitKats – This is a habit that I really should break, but then again, you only live once. This has been going on for nigh-on 10 years and the scenario is as follows: when I am at work and the clock veers toward 10.30 am, I have this strange need to go and buy a KitKat to eat with a cup of coffee. Weirdly, I have no compulsion to do this at home at weekends or on holidays but given an office environment and coffee and the impulse kicks in. That means I’ve probably eaten over 2,500 KitKats in the last ten years. Blimey!

5. Crime fiction – I love it. I’ve read everything by Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Dorothy L Sayers, Ruth Rendell, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Elizabeth George, Patricia Cornwell, Minette Walters, PD James, Colin Dexter and a whole list more and I’m coming close to polishing off M C Beaton. When this happens, I don’t know what I’ll do.

Well that’s it. Do I feel any better for this confessional? Erm…sort of.

3 comments:

bearockr said...

Music , I-Pod, And Kit-Kat For Me Definitely ! Really Big obsessions !

Jayne said...

only worse as this digs into your very soul. - chuckles in the corner, or should that be 'cackles'?! Thanks for sharing though, fun to see what makes folk tick!

I thought music would be strangely high, don't know what gave that away (looks around blog and wonders). Love the fact you sometimes miss TV shows trying to listen to the music! I bet you had a field day with Life on Mars, if you watched that show.

I can't believe I missed out Twirl bars. Or chocolate, in general. I think office environments have a lot to answer for, I don't get nearly so demented for sugar at home as I do in an office. 2,500 kitkats though! There's a nice thought next time you go to unwrap one with your morning coffee!

music obsessive said...

bearockr - I'm glad there's someone else out there that is as mad as me. It makes me feel quite normal!

Jayne - Some of these TV progs are quite inventive. My favourite was the usual end-of-Wimbledon collage which was run against one of my all time favourite songs, 'Shine On' by The House of Love. Someone at the BBC has great taste!